The MPhil is offered by the Faculty of Mathematics as a full-time period of research and introduces students to research skills and specialist knowledge. Its main aims are:
- to give students with relevant experience at first-degree level the opportunity to carry out focussed research in the discipline under supervision; and
- to give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills and expertise relevant to their research interests.
By the end of the programme, students will have:
- acquired a comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, applicable to their own research;
- demonstrated originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field;
- shown abilities in the critical evaluation of current research and research techniques and methodologies;
- demonstrated some self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research
Для кого курс
Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK First class Honours Degree.
If your degree is not from the UK, please check International Qualifications to find the equivalent in your country.
The usual minimum entry requirement is a first-class honours degree, awarded after a four-year course in physics, mathematics or engineering, or a three-year degree together with a one-year postgraduate course on advanced mathematics and theoretical physics. Part III (MMath/MASt) of the Mathematical Tripos provides such a course. Note however that entry is competitive and a higher level of preparation may be required.
11-month full-time programme